Re: ALSA is miserable. (Help?)

You're a GENIUS!  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I can't
say this solved all of my problems, but it gave me the following vital
hints:

0. That there was actually module code!!!
1. the FTP site!!!
2. That there was documentation better than was provided with Slink (the
mini-HOWTO was the golden key)
3. The order of compilation
4. The modprobe and amixer statements helped.

After that, I needed to:

1. Rip out Slink's pathetic ALSA "support"
2. Install kernel headers
3. Get 3.0.pre4 as recommended by the HOWTO (NOT anything else!!!)
4. Manually destroy all of the old libraries installed by other versions
5. Compile, install as root, run amixer and alsactl!

<Sigh> this is quite a bit of work, but even more off my mind.  I would have
a tough time repeating this or recommending Debian to others just because of
this.

Once again, thanks INFINITELY, you helped a great deal.

--
Jonathan Markevich <debian@markevich.ourfamily.com>
http://members.xoom.com/JMarkevich

Accordion, n.: