Re: C programing

On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 10:07:28PM +0000, John Carline wrote:
> <cut> <snip>
[cut again ...]

> After spending the last two days trying to convert a C program I
> wrote some 6 years ago in microsoft C into linux. I just have to
> echo this question.  Is there no linux specific/best book that
> covers gcc and g++.  One that includes all the standard library
> calls . I currently have four books on C (not the Kerninghan book
> though. I'll have to go look at it) and they're basically
> worthless. I'm not sure if it's that they're simply too old or
> too 'microsoft', but I'd love to find a book on gcc that would be
> a simple but complete reference for the occasional C programer.

[ standard comment: please limit your line length to <= 72 characters ]

For a good general overview of the standard C library install the
glibcdoc debian package, and type `info libc' (or use your favorite
info reader).  It is quite readable and has a lot of info on
programming with ANSI standard C library functions and on typical unix
programming stuff like pipes, regular expressions, sockets, process
control.  If you need to control character input from the keyboard and
position the cursor in a terminal window, then install the ncurses
development package and read the man page (man ncurses) which is rather
elaborate.

HTH,
Eric

--