problems with '~' in sources.list

Am I the only one who can't use apt-get with URLs that have a tilde in
them?

Here's my /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian.org/~vincent/ y2k-update main

And here is what happens when I run apt-get update:

Err http://www.debian.org y2k-update/main Packages
  Could not resolve service 'http'
Err http://www.debian.org y2k-update/main Release
  Could not resolve service 'http'
Hit ftp://ftp.debian.org stable/main Packages
Hit ftp://ftp.debian.org stable/main Release
Hit ftp://ftp.debian.org stable/contrib Packages
Hit ftp://ftp.debian.org stable/contrib Release
Hit ftp://ftp.debian.org stable/non-free Packages
Hit ftp://ftp.debian.org stable/non-free Release
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://www.debian.org
y2k-update/main Packages'
(/var/state/apt/lists/www.debian.org_%7evincent_dists_y2k-update_main_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these missing files
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

update available list script returned error exit status 100.

I've had this problem before too, with 'samosa.debian.org/~branden'

I can't use any of these URLs in dselect/apt.  Am I doing something wrong?