Re: Firefox no print issue

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 08:12:36PM -0500, Jim Hall wrote:
> Almut Behrens wrote:
> >On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 10:47:14PM -0500, Jim Hall wrote:
> >><</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice
> >>%!PS-Adobe-3.0
> >>%%Pages: (atend)
> >>%%BoundingB
> >
> >That "<</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice" is not supposed to occur
> >in that position, i.e. before the %!PS line (also, it's pretty useless,
> >anyway[1]). Although those %-lines are just comments[2], postscript-wise,
> >the problem is that many printers use those first 4 chars "%!PS" to
> >auto-detect whether to switch into PS- or text-mode.
>
> The printer is a QMS1660. It is configured as Postscript Level 2. I
> don't think (repeat: don't think) it switchs modes, but it understands
> and deals with more than PS. Or is that what you meant?

Kind of...  Actually, I just downloaded the printer manual[1], and
found the following passage:

"ESP Technology
  Emulation Sensing Processor (ESP) technology is another standard
  feature of QMS Crown architecture. ESP technology, which works
  with most popular commercially available applications, uses a form of
  artificial intelligence to analyze incoming file data and select the
  appropriate printer emulation (for example, PostScript emulation, ..."

(chapter "Printer-Host Communication", page 5-2)

Wow. No simple string compare against %!PS, but Artificial Intelligence!
That should in fact be capable of handling a setpagedevice command in a
slightly suboptimal position.  So, the only remaining real issue could
possibly be that Linux isn't a commercial application... ;)

OK, seriously, I'm getting the impression that, for whatever reason,
your printer somehow got inadvertendly misconfigured to no longer use
ESP technology.  So, before we try anything else, I'd suggest you check
that configuration setting.  The following printer menus should apply
("Printer Configuration/Interfaces", page 4-34):

    Menu          Administration/Communications/*/Emulation
    Choices       ESP, Hexdump, HPGL, Lineprinter, PCL5, PostScript

where * is one of Parallel, Serial, ... -- whichever you're using.
Make sure this is ESP or PostScript, not Lineprinter.

Maybe this one also (supposed to apply in case ESP should fail):

  Setting ESP Default Parameters
    Menu          Administration/Emulations/ESP Default Emul
    Choices       HPGL, Lineprinter, PCL5, PostScript

If that should still leave you in a "no luck" situation, then please
see what happens when using

$ lpr -o raw <psfile>

as I suggested in my previous post (and make sure that %!PS actually
does appear directly at the beginning of the file...).

Good luck,
Almut

[1] ftp://ftp.minolta-qms.com/pub/cts/out_going/manuals/1660/sysref.pdf
(I assume you already have a hardcopy version of that manual -- just to
make sure we're talking about the same thing)