Re: Adding installed packages to menu

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 01:16:31AM +0900, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> was heard to say:
bret@bretnewworkstation:~$ cat
/usr/share/applications/flightgear.desktop
cat: /usr/share/applications/flightgear.desktop: No such file or
directory

 Looks like you don't have that file at all.

From history in Synaptic;

"Commit Log for Mon Mar  2 13:41:22 2009

Installed the following packages:
fgfs-base (0.9.10-1)
flightgear (0.9.10-2)
             ^^^^^^^^

 That's the package from etch, which is now obsolete.

I did say, in the intitial posting, at the start of the thread, that I am running Debian 4.0.

I had not realised that it is now regarded as obsolete.

i had understood that it would be classed as "oldstable", but would still be supported.

 I went through
the Contents files for etch, and indeed it didn't contain a .desktop
file.  If you look at the changelog file, you'll find:

flightgear (1.0.0-2) unstable; urgency=low
 (...)
 * Added flightgear.desktop file by Lukas Fittl. Closes: #409683.
 (...)
-- Ove Kaaven <ovek@arcticnet.no>  Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:13:54 +0200

 So this was fixed in the current release of Debian.

I had delayed upgrading to Debian 5.0, as people appear to still have problems with upgrading to Debian 5.0, so I thought that it would be better to wait until things had settled, with Debian 5.0, perhaps, when release 2 appears, or something similar.

On the laptop that I did get flightgear running, it is running on Ubuntu 8.10, as previously mentioned, but that version of Ubuntu, appears to be unstable, with recent updates to KDE packages, stuffing things up, each time (I had been using ktfpgrabber on it, until it got broken, then got broken again, each time by updates, so I had to use command line ftp), so I was recommended to change that to Ubuntu 8.04, which is probably the equivalent of Debian 4.0.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."