Re: Adding installed packages to menu

<bret@busby.net> was heard to say:
> >  That's the package from etch, which is now obsolete.

I think he meant the package was obsolete, which is not entirely
true.  Etch will continue getting security updates for quite a
while.  If you continue to use Etch, that package is not obsolete.

> I did say, in the intitial posting, at the start of the thread,
that I
> am running Debian 4.0.
>
> I had not realised that it is now regarded as obsolete.

Depends by whom.  Some might consider "Lenny" obsolete the day it
was released because it doesn't have KDE 4 or Git 1.6 or some
other "pet" package.

DDs will continue to provide security support to Etch for a while.
AFAIK, no other bugfixes will be issued.  That might make it
obsolete to some.  "Debian" (if it were a single entity) would
suggest moving away from it as soon as reasonably practicable.

> i had understood that it would be classed as "oldstable", but
would
> still be supported.

Only security-wise.  IIRC, there's already a date set for when
that support stops, too.

As far as the list goes, we are mostly just other Debian users.
We support what we know.  For many that's Lenny or Squeeze, now.
For others it's Sid and always will be.  You'll find a few Etch
users, but that number will continue to decrease.  With all the
threads going on simultaneously, it's hard to keep in mind all the
versions each poster is using.  If someone gives you
advice/information that doesn't apply to the Debian version you
are using, don't hesitate to politely correct them and remind them
what version you are using.

(I'll try and help someone even if they are using some ancient,
far out of "support" version of Debian, like "Bo", but I don't
know how well my knowledge transfers.  I've really only been using
Debian since Etch.)