Re: [OT] British vs. American English (was Re: Wow, Evolution left me with eggs in my face)

On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 01:44:41AM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Sunday 02 October 2011 01:09:16 Stephen Powell wrote:
> > In England, "tea" means a full meal.
>
> Sorry to contradict you, but this is inaccurate.  I don't know how the
> numbers pan out percentage-wise, since the use of tea in that sense is
> both regional and class based.  (Yes, that terrible British class
> system.)

> I simply don't know how this pans out in Scotland, Wales and Ireland,

Up here, north of the border, it also varies by region and class. In
this "neck of the woods" the meals I might have in a day are breakfast
in the morning, lunch around noon, dinner in the evening and supper as a
snack before bed. In other areas the evening meal might be referred to
as supper or tea.

When I was living in the north of England those meals would have been
referred to as breakfast, dinner, tea and supper.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Sex is like air.  It's only a big deal if you can't get any.