Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...

Don Armstrong wrote:
Quoting myself from
http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/20141021184619.GQ28201@teltox.donarmstrong.com
with modifications.

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014, Tanstaafl wrote:
Personally I think the biggest issue with Jessie at present is the
inability to do a clean install with sysvinit rather than systemd as
the init system.
That preseeding doesn't do this is a bug, it's filed (#668001), and the
patch for it was just written on October 17th. Because Debian is going
to freeze for Jessie in under 7 *hours*, the maintainers aren't going to
apply this patch this close to release without extensive testing.

Furthermore, the effect of this patch is trivially obtained by using a
late_command to remove systemd-sysv and install sysvinit-core.

If you actually want to see this patch applied to the version of the
Debian installer that Jessie will release with, you should coordinate
with the nice people in #debian-boot to see what type of testing they
would want to see before they are willing to vet the patch.

Well, actually - I attempted to do just that, and received no response. Someone else did some testing and reported it against the bug. Still, no comments back from anyone.

Miles Fidelman