Re: Multiple desktops in lightdm?

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 14:19:52 -0500, Gary Dale wrote:

> On 03/11/14 11:20 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> I've been using lightdm, and it more or less works.
>>
>> About a decade ago, on another ancient Linux, I could get multiple
>> desktops, selected by ctl-alt-f7 through f12.  Is there some way to set
>> up something like that with lightdm?
>>
>> Just being able to dynamically add another desktop would be good,
>> actually; they don't have to all be there at boot.
>>
>> In case it makes a difference, I'm running squeeze with the traditional
>> sysv init.  I use icewm and fvwm as window  managers and do not run
>> gnome or kde.  Not that some of those libraries aren't there anyway.
>>
>> -- hendrik
>>
> Are you asking for multiple virtual desktops or the ability to log on
> multiple times to the same machine?

I want to be able to log on multiple times, simultaneously, to the same
machine, with the same physical keyboard and boutse and screen, but with
different user ids.  So that when I'm logged in as myself, and my friend
comes by who wants to use the machine for a minute, I can let him log in
as another, independent user, without me having to log out first.

I hope that's clear.

-- hendrik