Re: Multiple desktops in lightdm?

On Jo, 06 nov 14, 03:58:13, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I want to be able to log on multiple times, simultaneously, to the same
> machine, with the same physical keyboard and boutse and screen, but with
> different user ids.  So that when I'm logged in as myself, and my friend
> comes by who wants to use the machine for a minute, I can let him log in
> as another, independent user, without me having to log out first.

This is usually called "switch user". A quick web search seems to
indicate lightdm might be able to support it, but can't help any
further. As far as I understand gdm+Gnome should be able to do it.

A different method to achieve the same thing would be to use Ctrl-Alt-Fx
to switch to a console, login and start another X instance with

    startx -- :1

This has the advantage of being *dm independent.

Kind regards,
Andrei