Re: debian 8

On 13/04/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/04/2015, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>And lastly, just out of interest, I don't recall your saying
>> whether you have tried installing and running D8 yet.
>>

> Apart from not having GNOME Classic, I note that Debian 8, as with
> Debian 7, appears to be missing iceape.
>
> I do not remember how, but, from memory, I have iceape installed on
> Debian 7 on the Acer V3-772G, bit it is now, apparently, not available
> for installation on Debian 7, on the Acer E5-521-238Q.
>
> So, without GNOME Classic (or GNOME2, which would be better), and,
> without iceape, I have no inclination to install Debian 8.

And then I remember that it is not iceape, that I have installed on
the Acer V3-772G, but seamonkey, beacuse we now have to install
seamonkey, if we want the functionality of iceape.

But, seamonkey is not available as a .deb package, for installation
and updating.

It is available only as a .tar.bz2 file, for installation on Linux.

So, it has to be downloaded as the compressed file, installed, and
connected to a menu, so as to be able to use it.

Andl, the instructions have to be followed.

And, following the instructions, does not work.

So, getting the application to being able to run it, takes days,
instead of minutes, with trying to sort out how to get it to work, if
we have the time to lose, to try to get it to work.

And, we are now returned to the ease of use (difficulty), that we had
with slackware, from the time of Red Hat 4, and, without the
functionality that was available in Debian 3 and 3.1, as we have lost
the functionality of package management.

Sometimes, unfortunately, we are forced to admit defeat.

Installing software, and getting it to be able to be used, simply is
made too difficult.

No, I have no intention of installing Debian 8.

Life is already difficult enough, without making it worse.

I think I will just stick with Debian 6, with its shortcomings, and
probably also give up on Debian 7, as also too difficult, and as too
unusable.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale