Re: pptp-based vpn

On Fri 14 Aug 2015 at 09:08:30 +0100, Martin Read wrote:

> On 12/08/15 18:23, Brian wrote:
> >On Wed 12 Aug 2015 at 16:57:33 +0100, Martin Smith wrote:
> >>I suffer from them, I haven't had a tv since 1971, and they can't let go,
> >
> >Unless you have typed and sent your mail from a friend's computer, you do.
>
> Conveniently, what the law requires people to purchase a TV licence for is
> not "you have equipment capable of receiving television programmes as they
> are being broadcast", but rather "you *use* some piece of equipment to watch
> or record television programmes as they are being broadcast".

I know what the law requires. For the purposes of the Act possession of
a computer is the same as possession of a piece of viewing equipment
commonly known as a "TV", You apparently have a computer. Therefore you
acquired a TV between 1971 and now.

> And yes, the law does distinguish between broadcast programmes and live
> internet streaming (e.g. the BBC's live coverage of the World Snooker

No it doesn't. Watching BBC News being streamed live with get_iplayer is
regarded as equivalent to receiving the same channel from a satellite or
terrestrial transmitter.