Re: Where are WiFi passwords (WPA keys) stored?

Robert Latest <boblatest@gmail.com> writes:

> Not in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf, despite suggestions in
> every bit of documentation that I got my hands on. In fact, that file
> doesn't even exist on my jessie system. Nevertheless, when I
> configured the WiFi network using some GUI tool in the XFCE desktop,
> it worked. Even after a reboot, with no desktop running, I could ssh
> into the system via WiFi.
>
> So there must be a place, somewhere, where the WiFi passowrd ist
> stored, outside the realm of some specific user. Where is it?

Assuming you're running Network-Manager, you can find the individual
connections defined in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections, with each
connection having a psk= attribute line with the psk.

Note that these files are only root-accessible.

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.