Re: Root is in RO after boot

On Tue 07 Jan 2020 at 14:58:08 (+0200), George Shuklin wrote:

> After recent minor package upgrade (I'm on sid) I found that the root
> filesystem is in 'RO' mode. I changed 'ro' into 'rw' in grub.conf and
> after reboot everything works fine. Any update which triggers
> update-grub causes 'ro' back.

Assuming you mean grub.cfg, you shouldn't do that. Your initialisation
system will take care of switching from ro to rw at the correct time.

> I tried to find what's broke, but failed.
>
> I can't find who remounts root filesystem into rw mode. Is this some
> systemd generators magic? Or is this happens inside initrd?

You need to look at your logs. I've only had root switch to ro upon
getting i/o errors, which is what the fstab entry for root specifies:

LABEL=swan07  /  ext4  errors=remount-ro  0  1

It's a safety feature to stop those errors from gradually corrupting
the filesystem further.

Cheers,
David.