Re: default umask in actual debian?

On Tue 07 Jan 2020 at 14:44:55 (+0100), Hans wrote:

> Just a question: What is actual the default umask in debian? I believe, it is
> 022, and people should change this to 027 (like the manual says).
>
> Is this still so? If it is still 022 by default, shouldn't it be 027 by
> default, just for better security? Well, might be , that some application then
> could not read the personal configuration in ~/user, but this would be rather
> seldom.

/etc/login.defs says:

# 022 is the "historical" value in Debian for UMASK
# 027, or even 077, could be considered better for privacy
# There is no One True Answer here : each sysadmin must make up his/her
# mind.

So it's up to you to set it to whatever you want. I think changing it
might be more trouble than it's worth: look at how people reacted to
the change in su.

Cheers,
David.