Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

Andrei writes:
> This very much ISP dependent. My current one will allocate new IPs (v4
> as well as v6) on every re-connection, so the only way to keep the
> same IPs is connection uptime.

> The only benefits I can think of from their side is less management
> overhead and charging for fixed IPs (if that is even an option for
> private users, didn't bother to check).

It may also be somewhat historical.  There was a time when most users
were not connected most of the time.  This meant that by allocating the
next free IP upon connecting they could "overbook" IPs.  Now I think
that they just use DHCP.  Simplifies provisioning.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com