Re: listing initrd content

On Tue 03 Aug 2021 at 02:03:57 (+1000), David wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 at 01:45, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > BTW I encrypt only /home and swap, and AFAICT my initrd.img doesn't
> > contain crypt stuff except for /usr/bin/cryptroot-unlock (5686B).
> > So I ignore a polite warning at every rebuild:
> >
> >   update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-17-amd64
> >   cryptsetup: WARNING: The initramfs image may not contain cryptsetup binaries
> >       nor crypto modules. If that's on purpose, you may want to uninstall the
> >       'cryptsetup-initramfs' package in order to disable the cryptsetup initramfs
> >       integration and avoid this warning.
> >   Log ended: 2021-07-20  10:07:25
>
> As the warning says, it and /usr/bin/cryptroot-unlock will go away
> if you uninstall 'cryptsetup-initramfs', which is pulled in by 'cryptsetup',
> which describes itself as a transitional dummy package that
> can be removed. You probably only need 'cryptsetup-run' and
> 'cryptsetup-bin'. I learned this by running
>   apt show 'cryptsetup*'
> and tried it and it works fine where appropriate.

I was really just pointing out that having the encryption packages
installed on the system doesn't mean that any extra functionality
gets included in the initrd.img file. So I can't quite see the
point of removing packages from the system in order to reduce the
initrd.img's size.

I don't know, without seeing a list of differences in the file
content, whether dracut is doing its job (reducing the size),
because, for example, is it reading the same configuration info
on compression. That alone could account for a 6MB difference,
I presume.

(BTW I omitted to say that swap has a random key, so RESUME=none
makes that a non-issue.)

Cheers,
David.