Re: Seeing progross during fsck on boot

On Sun 04 Sep 2022 at 13:15:24 (+0100), Mike wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 04, 2022 at 01:01:03AM +1000, David wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 Sept 2022 at 00:18, Charles Curley
> > <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:

> > > I believe on Debian that should be
> > > /etc/systemd/system/systemd-fsck-root.service
> >
> > Hi Charles, yes thanks for picking up that edit mistake, it was supposed to
> > be a simple change (lib --> etc) but I neglected to delete the 'lib'.
> >
> > Also I noticed another error in my transcription of the console message,
> > I missed the hyphen in the package name, it should be:
> > Begin: Will now check root file system ... fsck from util-linux 2.36.1
> >
> Thanks for the very detailed description.  This was just what I was
> after.  I'd kind of figured a few things, that it likely needed some
> kind of switch to fsck to produce output and likely systemd was either
> not passing that flag or swallowing the output.  I've never delved into
> how disks get fscked on boot, either with systemd or sysv, so I wasn't
> really sure where to start looking.

As I said, we don't know the disposition of your disks. The root
partition isn't a problem: I've made no changes like the above, but
I can see it's being checked. But if you also need to check more than
one other partition at boot time, then the penalty for obtaining a
progress indication may be serialisation, which sounds undesirable
in your case (parallel takes four hours).

> Your explanation was very helpful and I think also the last point was a
> good one.  I've converted the remaining ext3 filesystems to ext4 and
> will see how that goes.

That might well be the most productive change made.

> It was an interesting point too that someone suggested about
> ShowStatus=auto.  That sounds helpful, athough when I look in
> system.conf I notice two things:
>
> The comment at the top:
>
> # Entries in this file show the compile time defaults.
>
> And the entry itself:
>
> #ShowStatus=yes
>
> This suggests that it should be printing status stuff.  I checked my
> config on my desktop and saw the same.  That I recall only prints one
> line during startup for a service that fails to start and that I've
> never bothered to fix.

No, the documentation says: "Defaults to enabled, unless quiet
is passed as kernel command line option, in which case it defaults
to error." AIUI the Debian default /is/ quiet, and you can see it
in my kernel command line that I posted. (IIRC, not including quiet
can be somewhat overwhelming in the level of detail it spews out.)
So you need, as I do, to use the kernel command line to set it,
rather than system.conf.

> I'll do some more digging on my desktop to understand the ShowStatus
> thing but for now I'll be happy to see how I get along with ext4.
>
> Thanks again to everyone who offered their input into this.  It's been
> very helpful for me.

Cheers,
David.