Re: Seeing progross during fsck on boot

On Sun, Sep 04, 2022 at 01:01:03AM +1000, David wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sept 2022 at 00:18, Charles Curley
> <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 22:57:19 +1000 David <bouncingcats@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I imagine that could be overcome by copying the above service file to
> > >   /etc/lib/systemd/system/systemd-fsck-root.service and editing the
> > > above ExecStart line to use /sbin/fsck instead.
> >
> > I believe on Debian that should be
> > /etc/systemd/system/systemd-fsck-root.service
>
> Hi Charles, yes thanks for picking up that edit mistake, it was supposed to
> be a simple change (lib --> etc) but I neglected to delete the 'lib'.
>
> Also I noticed another error in my transcription of the console message,
> I missed the hyphen in the package name, it should be:
> Begin: Will now check root file system ... fsck from util-linux 2.36.1

Hi David,

Thanks for the very detailed description.  This was just what I was
after.  I'd kind of figured a few things, that it likely needed some
kind of switch to fsck to produce output and likely systemd was either
not passing that flag or swallowing the output.  I've never delved into
how disks get fscked on boot, either with systemd or sysv, so I wasn't
really sure where to start looking.

Your explanation was very helpful and I think also the last point was a
good one.  I've converted the remaining ext3 filesystems to ext4 and
will see how that goes.

It was an interesting point too that someone suggested about
ShowStatus=auto.  That sounds helpful, athough when I look in
system.conf I notice two things:

The comment at the top:

# Entries in this file show the compile time defaults.

And the entry itself:

#ShowStatus=yes

This suggests that it should be printing status stuff.  I checked my
config on my desktop and saw the same.  That I recall only prints one
line during startup for a service that fails to start and that I've
never bothered to fix.

I'll do some more digging on my desktop to understand the ShowStatus
thing but for now I'll be happy to see how I get along with ext4.

Thanks again to everyone who offered their input into this.  It's been
very helpful for me.

Regards,
Mike.