Re: Installing Wi-Fi card driver ( completing informations)

On Fri, Sep 09, 2022 at 12:39:36PM +0000, Mansour zermello wrote:

> Hi, I'm a new user in the Linux world especially debian, but i was
> interested by debian since very long time but one day I decided to
> install it and start to use it, i had difficulties to install it but
> with a lot of effort and searches i succeeded, BUT the problem where
> I'm stucked is the WIFI card model : Intel 8256NGW ( i don't know at
> all how to do ) to be honest, i really need your help I'm sure I'll
> can to do it if you explain to me how to do step by step and I'll
> transfer this knowledge to other user who is in my case.

> I'm waiting for your response impatientely to start using debian
> certainly the best OS ever made. Have a nice day,Cordially

> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Mansour, I don't see that you are getting a reponse to your query, and
so I'll jump in. This offers an opportunity to find out if my sense of
the matter raises objection.

You must prepare a USB key to hold firmware files pare a USB key so
that when the installer prompts you for firmware you can insert it.
The firmware files must be in a FAT32 partition ane the partition on
the key of sufficient size to hold them.

1. Go to a root command prompt by entering the su - command and
   providing root's pasword:

   $ su -

2. Plug in the key. Find out the name of its device interface:

  # fdisk -l

  This lists all devices. Look for a  line that is the size and name
  of the of the key. Note its interface name. It will be something like

    Disk /dev/sdb: 14.41 GiB, 15472047104 bytes, 30218842 sectors
    Disk model: DataTraveler 3.0
    Device     Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sdb1  *       63 30217823 30217761 14.4G  b W95 FAT32

  In this example the key is a Datatraveller. Its device interface
  name is /dev/sdb and  its sole partition has the /dev/sdb1

3. I assume abritrariy that you don't want to use the etire to hold
  the firmwaer files but to have multiple partitions for multi0le
  Use fdisk to create a partition on the umounted key, /dev/sdb in
  this example:

  # fdisk /dev/sdb

  The utililty fdisk has a variety of commands. One is m to see that
  the commands are. Make a partition of sufficient size to hold the
  firmware.  I'm assuming here that it wil be a second partition on
  device /dev/sdb and thus /dev/sdb2

4. A new partition has to be formatted, and to hold firware it must be
  FAT 32: In this example, the partition is #2 on and so is /dev/sdb2

  # mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb2

5. Now mount he key so that the firmare can be loaded onto it (recall
  that /dev/sdb device and partition /dev/sdb2 is only an example):

  # mkdir /media/tmp
  # mount /dev/sdb2 /media/tmp

6. Download the firmware. CD to /media/sdb2 for example and run the
  following command. Replace "VERSION" with the version of your
  Debian  such as Bullseye

  # wget -qO-  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/VERSION/current/firmware.tar.gz | tar xz -C /media/tmp

7. During Debian installation iInsert the kehy when propted for firmware. If
 fails to grabe the firmwre file drop to a command
 prompt

   C-A-F2

  and mount the the key on /media/tmp

Haines Brown