Re: Should a serious bug have made in into bullseye 11.5?

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 12:00:20PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Obviously, no one desires for there to be bugs, so your question
> doesn't really make sense. "Should bugs make it into Debian releases"?

Ah, sorry, I think I misunderstood - you are literally asking if the
presence of a severity "serious" bug in Grub should have prevented
the whole 11.5 point release happening?

I don't know. The only documentation I can find on the matter is
about full Debian releases and even that says the bugs would have to
be apmrked "release-critical" (RC) to block release, so not even
"critical" may have postponed things.

My gut feeling is that there's going to be quite a lot of
"serious"-level bugs in any point release and that no one works to
associate these with a recent upload and then prevent that going
into a new point release.

It still feels more useful to focus on how such problems can be
avoided in future. I don't think we can explore the release team
looking at every "serious" bug in every package otherwise they'd
never get a point release out.

Cheers,
Andy