Re: PowerBook G4 OS

On 2023-01-10 12:45 -0800, Bob Crochelt wrote:

> I have a Powerbook G4 currently running Debian 8 (Jessie).  Is there a
> more recent release supported on PPC, and where could I find it please?

No, there is no more recent release, at least not of Debian.  The
powerpc architecture is still hosted on debian-ports[1], but contains
only the unstable branch of Debian, so packages will contain new and
exciting bugs rather than the boring old ones you get in stable.

Trying to upgrade from Debian 8 will most likely completely break in all
kinds of ways, so if you want to switch to unstable the best way is to
reinstall.  You can find a ~10 months netinst iso at [2].

If you are feeling less adventurous, you could use debootstrap to setup
a chroot first and try the newest software there.

Good luck,
Sven

1. https://www.ports.debian.org/
2. https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/current/