Re: PowerBook G4 OS

I second and recommend FreeBSD. I can’t guarantee it’ll just work but I had a Sawtooth G4 years ago and it was great until the hardware died.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 1:18 PM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> No, there is no release for this architecture. The architecture's state is
> "unofficial" and the only branch is unstable/sid. This branch may or may not
> work. If you want to use Debian unstable/sid just replace "jessie" with
> "sid" in /etc/apt/sources.list and do:

While Sven is right to point out that upgrading directly from Debian
8 to Sid is rather risky, and while it's important to clarify that Sid
can indeed be broken, I believe this ends up sounding much more
discouraging than it should: since there is still a `powerpc` ports
being updated, you should expect that it *does* work.

I think in your place, I would start  by trying to boot your current
installation with Sid's kernel.  If that works, then I'd make a fresh
install using `debootstrap` into a new partition (you can then try out
the new install using `chroot` as well as using dual-boot).  Or maybe
I'd start by cloning your current root partition, and then try my luck
at a plain `apt full-upgrade`: in case of problem you can simply boot
back into your original root partition.

        Stefan