Re: questions about cron.daily

Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 06, 2023 at 05:45:08PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
>> Users (including root) write their crontabs anywhere they like,
>> typically in a directory like ~/.cron/.
>
> Is that... normal?  I can't say I've ever seen anyone keep a private
> copy of their crontab in their home directory like that.

I don't know if it's normal but sounds like a good practice, to have a
backup of your crontab. I've been bitten by this sometime when my old
shell provider retired a system and I had no copy of my crontab. My home
dir was not affected by that retirement since those were all NFS mounted
from a different server.

I think they did dig out my crontab from tape when I asked.