Re: Bash invocation, was Re: 60-serial.rules, broken

On 6/9/23 16:01, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 09 Jun 2023 at 09:41:23 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
On 6/9/23 06:51, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 09 Jun 2023 at 06:20:07 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
On 6/9/23 00:46, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Thu, Jun 08, 2023 at 09:08:59PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

Perhaps I've ben mistaken, but the files in /etc/udev/rules.d are not the
same as /lib/udev/rules.d, so which one actually rules?

The one in /etc, as David said. Unless it doesn't exist.

This is actually the classical pattern of "layered configuration", which
is widespread in the UNIX world. You see that often with a system config
which can be overridden by a user config.

Sometimes you have even three layers: distro (e.g. lib), local (etc) and
user.

Thanks for the clarification Tomas. That would intimate the search
order would be /home/$usr/someplace, /etc/someplace, /lib/someplace.
Is that correct?

Not only did I give the priority for the task you're tackling
(which BTW would not concern an individual user's directory tree),
I also gave you the reference: man udev.

What is your problem??

man udev is as opaque as you can make what looks like plain English.

I find it hard to believe that the exams you're always talking about
having passed are any easier than understanding:

The last of those tests, was in 1972, 51 years ago. I finally did get a GED about 25 years ago. My now departed 3rd wife had a degree in music, and said it was embarrassing to tell her friends her hubby only had an 8th grade education. Now I'm 88 and fading which I'll also admit to.

But I'll readily admit its been one hell of a ride to get this far. ;o)>

Pure serendipity has put me in places and times that made history, so I also have all these "war stories" I occasionally bore folks with.

  "All rules files are collectively sorted and processed in lexical
   order, regardless of the directories in which they live. However,
   files with identical filenames replace each other.
   Files in /etc/ have the highest priority, files in /run/
   take precedence over files with the same name under /usr/.
   This can be used to override a system-supplied rules file
   with a local file if needed"

But paraphrasing myself, not only did I give you the reference,
I also gave you the priority for the task you're tackling:
  "Files under /etc/ take priority over those under /usr/lib/
   when their filenames are the same."

Yup, you did all of that, thank you David.

Take care & stay well.
Cheers,
David.

.