Re: Debian home page -> Download link broken:

On Sat, Jun 10, 2023 at 06:52:59PM -0400, songbird wrote:
> David Christensen wrote:
> > debian-user:
> >
> > $ date
> > Sat Jun 10 14:50:40 PDT 2023
> >

> > The "Download" link on the Debian home page is currently broken:
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/
> >
> > -> Download
>
>   there are also other artifacts happening which i hope
> will eventually be corrected as the release process gets
> completed.
>

> =====
> # apt-get update
> Hit:1 http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid InRelease
> Get:2 http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing InRelease [108 kB]
> Get:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian-debug testing-debug InRelease [32.1 kB]
> Hit:4 http://security.debian.org testing-security InRelease
> Hit:5 http://deb.debian.org/debian-debug unstable-debug InRelease
> Reading package lists... Done
> E: Repository 'http://deb.debian.org/debian-debug testing-debug InRelease' changed its 'Codename' value from 'bookworm-debug' to 'trixie-debug'
> N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.
> E: Repository 'http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing InRelease' changed its 'Codename' value from 'bookworm' to 'trixie'
> N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.
> =====
>
>   i don't use the codenames in my apt sources list because i
> do not want to deal with changes like this happening.  it
> should all just work[tm]...

A litle bit of history: the reasone we HAVE codenames is to sort this out.

There wasn't a Debian 1.0 because someone put out a "1.0" when there was
just about 0.97.

Using testing and stable leads to a flag day when there's a major release.
If you tie to a codename, this can follow on for up to five years.

All the very best, as ever,

andy Cater