Re: swap-fle on arm64, need to disable, how?

On Sun, Oct 01, 2023 at 08:58:36AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 01, 2023 at 05:07:48AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > You've a good view of this hw. However swap is not important to run
> > linuxcnc, in fact its to be avoided because it messes with realtime
> > response. Linuxcnc needs, even with much of the control offloaded to mesa
> > and similar smart cards, it still needs to check what the machine is doing
> > 1000 times a second. The way I'm doing it, the wobble in this timing as 50
> > to 80 microseconds, which doesn't bother the machine all that much, the real
> > time killer is firing up firefox which can lock out the irq response for
> > hundreds of milliseconds.  So I don't carve metal and browse the web at the
> > same time.
>
> If Firefox is really just for "browsing the web", and is not part of
> the user interface for the CNC pieces, I don't understand why you run
> Firefox on this machine at all.  I would run the browser on a separate
> computer, one which isn't so critical to your operation.

Echoing Greg:

2G is a fairly small amount of memory - by default the *Debian* install
for RPi 4 now gives you 1G of swap on whatever medium - which you should
never need to use.

It would make sense for something real time critical to be on a 2GB or 4GB RPi
on it's own - if you're running modellers or whatever for 3D printing, that
might be different but a command line or simplest web interface might be
best. You REALLY don't want anything extraneous.

Pi 4GB or 8GB are now available more or less: your BananaPi - you are *very*
much on your own.

All best, sa ever,

Andy
[amacater@debian.org]