Re: Web functionality;

On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 01:27:14PM -0700, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
>     From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
>     Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 17:39:20 +0100
> > I do disagree with much of what the Mozilla foundation does, and at
> > the end, they see the world through ad-industry coloured goggles, but
> > they are the last credible ditch we have.
>
> Considering how minimal Dillo is, it has worthwhile capability.  I
> wonder why addition of JavaScript isn't mentioned.  I don't mean
> compete with Firefox.  Just display fewer blank windows and allow some
> commonly occuring gizmos to work.

Heh. I used Dillo long,long time ago. That time whence this whining of
some Web pages comes from (some still have it!):

  "You don't have Javascript? Oh, you poor sod! Here, we explain
   to you how to switch it on. That's how nice we are!"

> > You thought the situation with Microsoft and computing in the 1980s
> > and 1990s was grotesque? It's much, much worse these days. The
> > difference is that the monopoly watchdogs are fast asleep at the
> > wheel these days.
>
> For sure ...
>
> ... but even dinosaurs weren't invincible.

That's my hope, yes. A faint one.

> In many areas, Europe is more progressive than N. Am.  Any encouraging
> developments there?

Yes, there's GDPR, which went in the right direction. The giants of
surveillance capitalism are making a mock of it, because they are
massively better at that game.

And, to be fair. the book on that was written by a person in the
US:

  Shoshana Zuboff: "The Age of Surveillance Capitalism".

I'm buying a second copy because I gave away my first one.

Cheers