Re: Git for backup storage

On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 01:44:34PM -0700, Mike Castle wrote:
> Something I played with recently was
> https://packages.debian.org/stable/vcs/git-filter-repo

Yes, it does work. My typical use case is when someone has put a
password in the repo you don't even want to have in the history.

But you aren't going to use that in a Git backup with gigabytes
of data, believe me :-)

> But you definitely want to run tests on real data before you decide
> that deleting old data saves your anything, particularly with respect
> to time.
>
> If git is so efficient at storing this kind of data, then what do you
> expect to gain by deleting old stuff, outside of a smaller log to go
> through?

The backup idea is a good one for medium amounts of smallish files
(/etc comes to mind). Once big hunks like videos are involved, things
get sluggish.

Try doing "time sha1sum foo" where foo is an 1.2G video file to see
what I mean.

Cheers