Re: Intermittent WiFi on Network Manager

On 10/8/23, gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On 10/8/23 07:43, Lee wrote:
>>>
>>> This is an urban legend and an excuse I was using when I was in tech
>>> support.
>>
>> It's real.  Try it yourself - run iperf for 2 minutes, display the
>> bandwidth report every second and then start the microwave for 1
>> minute.
>>
>> I get the thruput cut in half or or more when the microwave is on.
>> Which is an improvement on the previous microwave which used to kill a
>> wireless connection. (which was super annoying when the wife was doing
>> work-from-home & I wasn't allowed to use the microwave _at_all_ during
>> the day.  I suspect that's the reason she got a toaster oven)
>>
>> Is it fairly well-known that microwave ovens interfere the most on channel
>> 11?
>> I just tried linssid again and there's a bunch of APs on channel 1 &
>> 6, one on channel 2 and two on channel 8.  Nothing on channel 11.
>
> That, again probably, would be because the microwave does NOT transmit
> an SID,

It doesn't transmit anything resembling a wifi frame (packet?), it's
just noise as far as the wifi interface knows.. and not something that
shows up on a wifi analyzer like linssid.

You need a spectrum analyzer to see wifi noise/interference.  I just
took a quick look again for an affordable spectrum analyzer & didn't
see anything.  Then again, my definition of "affordable" is under $50
so I suppose that's not to surprising.

Regards
Lee