An afterthought up top here: Is there a program that will snag and
retain boot messages specifically geared toward systems that never
fully boot? It seems like I've seen that topic come up and be answered
one single time in the last ~25 years. I actually tried to find some
form of that type of program the other day when I saw an earlier
portion of this thread then. I was thinking, hoping maybe such a
program could possibly be installed via chroot if it does exist.

Now my original thought..........

Has chroot been suggested and/or attempted? I'm imagining that it was
possibly yes, suggested.

If not, what about attempting a chroot to then next attempt apt or
apt-get update then upgrade?

As a user who has occasionally battled issues, I know that, ideally,
it would be nice, i.e. satisfying, to find the cause of bigger issues
like this. At some point, I also know firsthand that outing the cause
becomes less important when weighed against moving on in Life. :)

Apt/apt-get upgrade via chroot would potentially help preserve a
particular setup rather than going with a new install if that is why
this continues to be a topic.

If anyone can think of a reason why running apt/apt-get in chroot
would only stand to cause data harm in this particular situation, that
would be great to know.

My firsthand experience has been that tinkering via chroot has
eventually gotten me back up and running maybe 99% of the time,
including against multiple kernel panic-ish fails a few years ago.

Biggest reason my chroot repair attempts ever failed was due to not
properly mounting maybe 4 or 5 basic necessities that apt/apt-get use
to properly install programs. /dev and /proc come first to mind as
examples there. That knowledge came from working through the manual
steps necessary during debootstrap installs, in case that ever helps
anyone else.

Cindy :)
* runs with a retirement state of mind *