Re: How to compare contents of two folders against third one?

On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 08:01:19PM +0500, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I have a "/source-folder/" which contains very large tree of folders and
> files.
> I've manually copied a set of folders and files from it to a
> "/destination-folder-one/" and
> copied another set of folders and files to a "/destination-folder-two/".
>
> Now, is there an effective way to compare combined contents of two folders
> "/destination-folder-one/" and
> "/destination-folder-two/" against a "/source-folder/" to show if there is
> anything that was left out?

I concur with Nicolas: every time you say "folder", a unicorn dies.

You mean: the union of dest-dir-1 and dest-dir-2 should equal your
source-dir?

  Try rsync -a source-dir/ dest-dir-2/ --compare-dest=dest-dir-1/

This one will even dutifully copy those files from source-dir which
can't be found either in dest-dir-1 or in dest-dir-2.

If you only want to /see/ what would be copied (always a good idea
when trying untested advice from random folks on the internets :)
there's the option --dry-run. Perhaps add the option -v.

Rsync is magic.

Cheers