All the unicorns are dead on Linux (was: How to compare contents of two folders against third one?)

On Wed, Nov 1, 2023 at 1:56 PM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 08:01:19PM +0500, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
> > Hello everyone.
> >
> > I have a "/source-folder/" which contains very large tree of folders and
> > files.
> > I've manually copied a set of folders and files from it to a
> > "/destination-folder-one/" and
> > copied another set of folders and files to a "/destination-folder-two/".
> >
> > Now, is there an effective way to compare combined contents of two folders
> > "/destination-folder-one/" and
> > "/destination-folder-two/" against a "/source-folder/" to show if there is
> > anything that was left out?
>
> I concur with Nicolas: every time you say "folder", a unicorn dies.

If you ask folks like Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike, they will tell you
all the unicorns are dead on Linux because everything is _not_ a file.
The only safe harbor for the unicorns are Plan9 and now Inferno. Plan9
and Inferno carry on the original Unix philosophy of "everything is a
file."

What you call a directory does not matter because the unicorns were
nearly extinct already.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs> and
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(operating_system)>.

Jeff