Re: Alternative to NetworkManager on Debian 12

On 03/11/2023 00:58, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 10:41:06PM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:

I am a bit surprised by a use case when temporary unplugging of cable should
be ignored. I have not tested it, but I hope, a setting, I have noticed in
docs, allows NetworkManager to handle it as well.

TCP/IP can take that. Retransmit and things. Only after a (usually generous)
timeout the application layer notices. Which has upsides and downsides, of
course :-)

TCP/IP is another level. E.g. ssh connection may survive after sleep during several minutes and wake up. It was an unintended experiment with 2 laptops connected directly using an ethernet cable. On the other end I had to activate connection again (NetworkManager).

Just now I have tried "nmcli con down" for wifi connection on both sides and "nmcli con up". A ssh connection has not died. My conclusion is that TCP connection may survive even without ignoring of carrier lost on network interfaces.

Certainly connection would be not restored if new DHCP leases had other addresses. A particular application may detect that the link is down. To deal with such cases it may be necessary to adjust NetworkManager configuration.