Re: Alternative to NetworkManager on Debian 12

On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 10:00:45PM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 01/11/2023 21:33, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > I was just pointing at the fact that even ifupdown can automatically
> > bring up an interface on connect (cf. allow-hotplug), courtesy of udev.
>
> Doesn't allow-hotplug means adding a network adapter (e.g. a USB one), not
> plugging network cable into an existing adapter (built-in or connected
> earlier)? I believed that e.g. ifplugd is necessary if there are reasons to
> avoid NetowrkManager and systemd-networkd.

Following the man page (interfaces (5)) you are right, of course. In
theory, however, since things are kicked off by an udev rule (i.e.
udev calling some command) it shouldn't be too hard (TM) to wire up
things, provided you've a monitor which tells you when an eth has
carrier.

Currently I haven't an Ehternet to fool around, so I'll leave it at
that.

Cheers