Re: How to use dmsetuup?

On 11/5/23 01:46, David Christensen wrote:
On 11/4/23 21:05, gene heskett wrote:
On 11/4/23 23:15, David Christensen wrote:
On 11/4/23 17:55, gene heskett wrote:
FWIW the rw's I have and that continue to work, are Sony DVD+RW, well over 5 years old now. I understand there is a DVD-RW but I've no experience with them.  Today my objection is the size. In comparison to a system driving 3d printers with gcode from Cura-5.4 that is not rolled up into subroutine loops, I have some of the more complex and large parts part files that will not fit on a dvd. So it simply impractical for me to back up to a measly 4.7Gig dvd.

That's why they invented Blu-ray:

     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

     25 GB (single-layer)
     50, 66 GB (dual-layer)
     100, 128 GB (BDXL)

Shudder. Anything mechanical can be destroyed by a smoke particle 100x to small to be seen with a good eye. I am a CET & Electronics in general I understand the physics of, and in electronics the only thing moving is a few electrons here or there. As long as the voltage does not force an electron thru the oxide layer that is the capacitors insulation, forming a leakage path that avalanches thru the oxide film and essentially destroys the device, there is no physical reason that it will not continue to do its jobs for hundreds or thousands of years. It will be external environmental effects that will eventually reach the chip and byproducts of the humidity let in by the breach of the package sealing that finally destroys it.

The size of a bit that is detectable on a disk is determined by the wavelegth of the light reading that bit, cd's were designed with the IR lasers of the day, which emmit light in the 1100 nanometer range. Far infrared IOW. DVD's were made possible with a shorter visible light laser, then blue rays got that down to abut 400 nanometers. The next gen of those will have a uv laser  but we'll have to invent it first. But part of that problem is that decent optical glass for the lenses does not pass UV to a usable amount. Plastic lets it blast on thru but can we make plastic lenses that precisely for the price bleeding edge users will pay? IDK.

Interesting tangent.

The point I was trying to make is that  proper disaster preparedness involves defenses in depth.  AFAIK your data and your backups are on the same computer and you have no other recent backups or archives.  If true, then, as you already know, the computer is a single point of failure that could destroy both data and backups.

And, now you are touching HBA's, touching drives, and issuing root commands that are in direct proximity to your data and backups.  As you already know, human error is the most common failure mode.  I am worried that you are going to make a mistake and suffer a data disaster (partial or total).  That is why I suggested that you give the Asus a rest and build a backup server now.  If you then trash the Asus, recovery will be possible.  A duplicate set of backups is wise in case something happens to the primary backups (notably, human error during recovery).

David

.
Amanda is now been able the use big disk storage for a couple decades, separate from the computers main drive. These disks then contain tarball, compressed if possible, that can be read on a rebuilt machine with a bare metal install for recovery. One must be fam with how it works, and w/o its database but it can be done. I'm also into 3d printers, and that has made me fam with the arm64 sbc cards such as the bananapi-m5 which has 4 ub3 ports on a 2GHz 4 core cpu. Startech makes a usb3 to sata adapter that can do 500M/sec to an SSD. I am doing it on an rpi4b. So I am tempted to build my own NAS by using all 4 of those ports to hook 4 of these 2T gigastones up as a 4G raid10. Run it headless by an ssh login, setup amanda server on it, setup amanda-client on the rest, setup amanda to do any compression on the clients which are fast enough to do it and let the pi handle the actual storage, including its database which makes a recovery a matter to telling it which file and how old. I normally setup for 60 to 90 days of retention. It won't be fast but it will be isolated from anything that fails on the rest of my net,

Fast is relative, running on an older mobo in this machines original incarnation, it backed up itself and 4 other machines on my local net in 30 to 45 minute sessions everynight. Using a separate drive, but that drive, one of two 2T seagates went off line forever at about 6 weeks runtime, followed 3 days later by its twin which was the boot drive in this machine, leading to a 22 install disaster because the installer at the time was or still is busted.

Buster and bullseye both worked great, bookworm has been a disaster from the gitgo for me. I absolutely own every byte of /home/gene, but something is getting in the way that didn't for buster or bullseye, and I have a hard time believing I am the only one on the planet with such a problem. The evidence says I am. opening a write requester to select where the file is to be put takes from 30 seconds to 5 minutes, once its drawn on screen, things are instant. Where is that delay? And better yet, how do I fix it?

I can recall, 35 years ago, running os9 on a trs-80 color computer, a mini unix at the time that could run on a 64k machine, would get laggy when the floppy disk was getting full because it was scanning the file allocation table for open space, but those lags weren't anything like this. Is the sheer size of the system creating a similar problem? So my first experiment will be to move /home off the raid to a single 2T SSD. Unfortunately my partner for the last 34 years in the crime of marriage has passed, so I don't have anyone to tell, "here, hold my beer and watch this". ;o)>

I just gotta get off my bum and do it. At 89 yo, my body doesn't always want to do what my brain tells it to. Next project is finding the bottom of a rafter and drilling a hole to drive a screw eye into the ceiling so I can pick an 81 lb 3d printer up, swing it over a table and set it down. Hopefully yet today. I've drug in everything but the stepladder to drill the hole and install the skyhook.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis