Re: Installing on Radxa Rock Pi 4B using SD-card-images

On 11/5/23 17:26, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Fri, Nov 03, 2023 at 12:22:36PM -0400, Daniel Gnoutcheff wrote:
The best answer is if the board has been supported for a while by
Armbian then that is probably a better choice than a less well
supported/documented manufacturer specific build of Debian.

Oh, I should clarify.  By "official Debian binaries and images" I meant
to say "pure" or "mainline" Debian as distributed from *.debian.org. Yes, a
bespoke "Debian" image from the hardware vendor is, indeed, out of the
question.  ARMbian is better, but I know and deeply trust the Debian project
and would prefer to use their releases over those from a derivative like
ARMbian.

I think you've hit the curse of almost all ARM single board computers.
Almost all are small production runs / out of East Asia somewhere as
"prototypes"** with a board support package (BSP) that's probably just
the manufacturer's kernel, u-boot and dtbs.

** Pine64, I'm looking at you: I have to buy from an EU distributor
to get longer than 30 days support.

With the caveat of almost no upstream support, Armbian will package the BSP
and do their best.

The manufacturer may have their "own" Debian remix but you're on your own
when it comes to adding "official" Debian packages.

The way round this is to build u-boot or reverse-enginer the settings then
do the same for a kernel, dtb and then debootstrap Debian yourself
  - that's exactly the sort of thing that folk do to get their boards
"supported in Debian" - folk like vagrantc and gwolf.
Painful isn't in it - there's a reason why there are relatively few
boards supported in the SD card images list.

This is one of the reasons why only some of the BananaPi variants are
supported - there's a new variant very regularly and the amount of work
needed to get a board supported can be significant. If nobody has that
board, it's going to be hard to get support, for example.
[That's also why I keep asking Gene whether he's running vanilla Debian
or not].

Thanks,
Daniel G.

Good luck with it all

Andy

Actually Armbian is not debian but arm64 ubuntu jammy ATM, however bookworm images are also available from the aug-31 spin. However, video goes away at startx time in the last mint desktop full image for 23.8 but still works well for a slightly earlier xfce image brought fully up to date. Igor says probably fixed in next spin. Other than that note, it just works with the usual iffy net setup for host file users like me.. cli versions for server stuff should just work but will get tested in the next week or two.

Debians bookworm for arm64 rpi's is working to run LinuxCNC on my rpi4b.
The kernel is not quite as low latency as my old 4.19 version, but still quick enough to do LinuxCNC perfectly.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis