Re: Installing on Radxa Rock Pi 4B using SD-card-images

On Mon, Nov 06, 2023 at 09:32:05AM +0800, jeremy ardley wrote:

> On 6/11/23 06:26, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > I think you've hit the curse of almost all ARM single board computers.
> > Almost all are small production runs / out of East Asia somewhere as
> > "prototypes"** with a board support package (BSP) that's probably just
> > the manufacturer's kernel, u-boot and dtbs.
>

> If that was all it was at, it would be livable.
>
> But the new series of boards are coming with NPU processors and this
> necessitates using closed source driver component (some parts are open but
> not all)

For future readers of the list: I had to search for the meaning of an NPU and
found this reference helpful - https://www.backblaze.com/blog/ai-101-gpu-vs-tpu-vs-npu/ - no further opinions as to the company behind it.

NPU - Neural Processing Unit - chip designed for AI use.

> As a corollary many packages have been tweaked to use the proprietary GPU
> and NPU stuff. As a consequence, in my case with a NanoPC-T6, I get on apt
> upgrade
>
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   ffmpeg ffmpeg-doc ir-keytable libavcodec-dev libavcodec58 libavdevice-dev
> libavdevice58 libavfilter-dev
>   libavfilter7 libavformat-dev libavformat58 libavresample-dev
> libavresample4 libavutil-dev libavutil56
>   libdrm-dev libdvbv5-doc libpostproc-dev libpostproc55 libswresample-dev
> libswresample3 libswscale-dev
>   libswscale5 libv4l-0 libv4l-dev qv4l2 v4l-utils xserver-common
> xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-dev
>   xserver-xorg-legacy

I'm unsure what can be done - most of those are audio/video coding programs
and camera support. It might be that the move to Wayland compositing *might*
help with the xorg - or maybe that you don't run X

The problems continue ...

All the very best, as ever,

Andy