Re: locate question

On 11/7/23 11:32, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;
I dunno if I've forgot how to use it, or it broken by the same bug that killing me with the lagging access to my home raid10.

Fact: there are probably over 100 files in my /home/gene directory and all its subs with assorted names ending in ".scad", made by OpenSCAD
Fact: I just ran "sudo updatedb" and generated a new date just now,
/var/cache/locate/locatedb.n
so that s/b uptodate.
Al of those files should be spit out by:
"locate *.scad" issued from an xfce terminal
but I get:
gene@coyote:~$ locate *.scad
/home/gene/vac_ctrl_box.scad
/home/gene/xhome_cable.scad

Acc an ls -R|wc -l  there are
433179
files in my /home/gene directory

so locate isn't working as I think it should.
try find but it finds the whole my whole local net:
gene@coyote:~$ find .scad .  |wc -l
find: ‘.scad’: No such file or directory
1176532

What am I doing wrong?

find . -name '*.scad'|wc -l

--