Re: locate question

Am 07.11.23 um 17:32 schrieb gene heskett:

> Greetings all;
> I dunno if I've forgot how to use it, or it broken by the same bug that
> killing me with the lagging access to my home raid10.
>
> Fact: there are probably over 100 files in my /home/gene directory and
> all its subs with assorted names ending in ".scad", made by OpenSCAD
> Fact: I just ran "sudo updatedb" and generated a new date just now,
> /var/cache/locate/locatedb.n
> so that s/b uptodate.
> Al of those files should be spit out by:
> "locate *.scad" issued from an xfce terminal
> but I get:
> gene@coyote:~$ locate *.scad

Since you're not escaping the '*' you (i. e. the shell) implicitly did:

gene@coyote:~$ locate vac_ctrl_box.scad xhome_cable.scad

instead, try

gene@coyote:~$ locate .scad

> /home/gene/vac_ctrl_box.scad
> /home/gene/xhome_cable.scad
>
> Acc an ls -R|wc -l  there are
> 433179
> files in my /home/gene directory
>
> so locate isn't working as I think it should.
> try find but it finds the whole my whole local net:

No, it searches starting at ".scad" and ".". The former doesn't exist
and the latter is your home directory (because that is the $CWD when you
issued the command) which find recursively searches for everything,
since you didn't specify what to search for.

> gene@coyote:~$ find .scad .  |wc -l
> find: ‘.scad’: No such file or directory
> 1176532
>>
> What am I doing wrong?

Try

gene@coyote:~$ find . -name '*.scad'