Re: Things I don't touch with a 3.048m barge pole

Hi,

gene heskett wrote:
> GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.9
>
> Partition table scan:
>   MBR: MBR only
> [...]
> Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format
> in memory.
> [...]
> Warning! Secondary partition table overlaps the last partition by 33 blocks!
> You will need to delete this partition or resize it in another utility.
> [...]
> Disk /dev/sdm: 4096000000 sectors, 1.9 TiB
> Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
>    1              64      4095999999   1.9 TiB     0700  Microsoft basic data

It wants to say "found no GPT at all and cannot easily convert the MBR
partition table".

> What do we make of that?  Some sort of NTFS?

NTFS would be a possible candidate for the filesystem inside the
partition. What does this command report:

  file -s /dev/sdm1

But the complaint from gdisk is just about an MBR partitioned stick with
no unclaimed room at the end for storing the GPT backup table.
Indeed if you want to convert the MBR partition table to GPT you will have
to delete or shrink the single partition number 1. (Shrinking would
of course depend on what kind of filesystem is in the partition and
whether Debian has shrink software for it.)
The same will be necessary if you want more than one partition.

Whatever, there is nothing suspicious about the gdisk behavior with that
particular disk.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas