Re: Things I don't touch with a 3.048m barge pole: USB storage (WasRe: Unidentified subject!)

On 2/8/24 15:43, Andy Smith wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Feb 08, 2024 at 02:20:59PM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
On Thu, Feb 8, 2024 at 11:57 AM Ralph Aichinger <ra@h5.or.at> wrote:
How does a breaking USB disk differ from a breaking SATA disk?

I may be mistaken, but I believe AS is talking about USB thumb drives,
SDcards and the like. I don't think he's talking about external SSD's
and NVME's over USB. But I don't want to put words in his mouth.

I really do mean all forms of USB that come over a USB port.

I wouldn't have much issue with taking a USB drive out of its caddy
to get the SATA drive from inside, except that it would have to be
an amazingly good deal to make it worth voiding the warranty, so I
generally wouldn't bother.

If I need directly attached storage I'd much rather explore options
like SAS and eSATA, or even networked storage, before I would ever
consider USB for a permanent installation.

Thanks,
Andy

OTOH. I have a couple sata-II SSD's, a kingston 256G and an adata 120G plugged into the usb-3 ports of what was an rpi3b with usb2, rigged it up first in 2016 IIRC, but swapped the rpi3b for an rpi4b in Feb 2020. I can build linuxcnc from master in around an hour, and a 4.19.120 or so kernal for the pi in a little less. And was doing that linuxcnc thing 4 to 8 times a week for several years but have stopped that with armhf since it may be dropped in favor of arm64 which isn't as good for latency, but is good enough to run linuxcnc w/o making the machine stutter from lack of data.

I have had one failure, the adapter for the 120G adata, wasn't a startech, is now for around 5 years. That's beats the performance of spinning rust like a white mouthed mule. I'd had Spinning rust failures have totaled around around a dozen in triple that time frame. I built my first linux box with a 30G drive in 1998. 26 years ago. I've paid the window tax once, buying a lappy in 2002 to run a road map gps thing as I did a decade and change worth of consulting since I retired, but that lappy got its windows replaced in 2 weeks by mandrake when I found the windose xp install could not run the radio in it but mandrake could. Long found the out bin, bad ac adapter. but I got most of a decade out of it. Kept me company from the passengers seat for around 20k miles though.

If these $23 drives pass the A. M. test, they will get mounted in adapters I'll have to design and print, plugged into a 8 port usb3 hub, plugged into a usb3 port of an bpi-m5, making a drive cage into a 12TB with 6 of these I bought into an amanda backup server I may hide in the bookshelves surrounding me. Headless, probably running it all on a 5v5a psu. There is a 5v8a psu being rowed across the big pond just in case.

My scope watching the 5 volt line will determine the need.

If they pass the test.  That is YTBD.
Interesting report from gdisk however:
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.9

Partition table scan:
  MBR: MBR only
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: not present

Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format
in memory. THIS OPERATION IS POTENTIALLY DESTRUCTIVE! Exit by
typing 'q' if you don't want to convert your MBR partitions
to GPT format!

Warning! Secondary partition table overlaps the last partition by
33 blocks!
You will need to delete this partition or resize it in another utility.

Command (? for help):
Command (? for help): p
Disk /dev/sdm: 4096000000 sectors, 1.9 TiB
Model: SSD 3.0
Sector size (logical/physical): 512/512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 3230045D-589D-4601-8C4D-E9C4684B9657
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
Main partition table begins at sector 2 and ends at sector 33
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 4095999966
Partitions will be aligned on 64-sector boundaries
Total free space is 30 sectors (15.0 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
1 64 4095999999 1.9 TiB 0700 Microsoft basic data

Command (? for help): q

What do we make of that?  Some sort of NTFS?

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis