Re: testing new sdm drive

On Fri, Feb 09, 2024 at 09:21:24AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> So, if you want to use `badblocks`, you may want to do it on an
> >> encrypted partition (that covers the whole device) rather than on the
> >> raw device.
> > This is an interesting idea. I haven't wrapped my head around "what if
> > the controller maps several block addresses to the same physical block"?
>
> I assume that's what those thingies do.  But disk encryption encrypts
> every block in a different way (otherwise, your encryption system is too
> poor and will leak information when comparing different blocks), so even
> if you write nothing but zeroes over your whole encrypted partition, the
> encryption will turn them into blocks that have all different contents.

Yes, but those device cheat, they do wear levelling and move (physical)
blocks around behind your back. If you write (logical) block N and read
it right away, chances are good that it comes out clean. But (logical)
block M (fr M << N) may just have been corrupted. That's why I think
you'll have to fill first, then check.

> This said, for the task at hand F3 seems like a simpler and more
> direct answer.

Possibly. I haven't read the man page yet.

Cheers