Re: D12 Installer does not recognize rtl8xxxu wifi

Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> writes:
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2024 19:24:35 +0100
> Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> If I start a shell from the installer, I can see that the necessary
>> module rtl8xxxu is loaded (the same one that is loaded in live
>> option). So I guess it is a firmware issue. How can I get an
>> installer with non-free firmware (if that is the problem)?
>> I just found one page that says the (non-free?) FW is always included
>> in the images (starting from bookworm). Is that true?
>> Any other idea?

hello Charles,

thank you for your reply.

> My understanding is that the non-free firmware is now included on
> Debian installation media.

yes, it is pretty clearly stated here:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

> I've been using "Debian GNU/Linux 12.2.0 "Bookworm" - Official amd64
> NETINST with firmware 20231007-10:28" and had no problems with non-free
> firmware on my several computers.
>
> So to diagnose this further, exactly what hardware? Please run lspci,
> and run lspci -v for the offending device.
>
> Also, you can run the netinst installer at least through the relevant
> installation phase. Then please capture the logs, probably under
> /var/log. Searching syslog on the word "firmware" should turn up some
> interesting messages.

As I wrote in the other reply, I was mainly concerned about Wifi not
working after installation (I wanted to understand it). I can install
from LAN.

Many Thanks for the reply,
Felix
--