Re: strange time problem with bullseye

On Thu, Mar 07, 2024 at 08:31:16AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> So I purged ntpsec and re-installed chrony which I had done once before with
> no luck but this time timedatectl was stopped and it worked!
>
> Now, how do I assure timedatectl stays stopped on a reboot?

Which version of Debian is this?  I'm guessing it's fairly recent,
because ntpsec is fairly recent.

In the most recent version or two, systemd-timesyncd is a separate
package, and it cannot coexist with chrony (they both provide the
"time-daemon" virtual package).  So, if this is Debian 12 (maybe 11
also, dunno about older), then when you installed either ntpsec or
chrony, it should have removed the systemd-timesyncd package.

You should be able to verify that the systemd-timesyncd package is
removed.

In some older versions of Debian, systemd-timesyncd was part of the
systemd package, and was always installed, even if you installed ntp
or chrony.  In these versions, the systemd unit file for timesync
had checks for the existence of the binaries belonging to ntp, chrony
and openntpd, and would prevent timesync from running if any of those
was found.

I don't remember which version did which thing.

And of course, if you are not actually running Debian, then all bets are
off.  You're on your own with Armbian, Raspbian, etc.