Re: Commandline client to lookup MAC vendor

On 2024-03-07 10:11, Ralph Aichinger wrote:
Any idea if one or the other is preferable or newer?

I think there is not much difference between the two files, the ieee-data packages the data directly from the IEEE, with nmap you have one intermediary project that needs to download and release the file before Debian can pick it up.

Then on the other hand, the ieee-data package is one minor version behind on the data, while the nmap file was modified ~6 months ago in Debian's VCS.

The only difference I can see is that with the ieee-data package you get some visibility which upstream version was used, while it would take more effort to trace that back in the nmap case.

Thomas