Re: Contribution to the Wine Team

Hi

On 02.12.20 10:18, Marc Dequènes (duck) wrote:
> On 2020-12-02 17:46, Stephen Kitt wrote:
>
>> Thanks for preparing these, I’m also preparing faudio 20.12 in
>> parallel ;-). I haven’t checked vkd3d, but note for faudio that we
>> don’t use gbp import-orig, we merge the upstream branch directly! I’ll
>> have the upload ready today or tomorrow.
>
> Nice.

Welcome duck!  It's great to see you all working on Wine (again).  I
hope you catch up before the freeze.

>> See README.source in faudio/debian for the update procedure, which can
>> be simplified — I’ll update it in the next upload.
>
> I just read it and that's indeed a tad more complicated. I'm curious to
> why you are using this method but I cannot find the reason explained
> anywhere. Not that gbp is perfect but it's working quite well now and
> make contribution way easier. Also in faudio's situation that means
> there is no way to regenerate an identical tarball from the git repo
> since pristine-tar is not used either. I don't want to force you into
> anything you do not want but clearly this is a deterrent for
> contribution (at least for me).

Absolutely feel free to improve it :)

I just tried to describe Mike's and my general workflow in the
README.source - although we never formally discussed/described a common
workflow and I just tried to mimic Mike's.

> As for Wine itself, it looks more complicated but maybe I could help
> too, if you're ok with this.

I would gladly have accepted your offer when I was active!

> It seems you wish to get a properly working
> package for each and every version to be able to downgrade in case of
> upstream regression IIUC. I think it's a useful goal but currently we're
> 13 versions late so it would be nice to do something about it.

I commented on that in my "parting" notes, sharing your feelings.

Greets
jre