Re: user interface feedback

On 11 Mar 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>  2) The waiting for file messages have a newline at the end, and
>     scroll things to fast. Thse messages should only be printed once
>     per file, and a message should be printed if the file is finally
>     retrieved

Okay, these were a bug and seem to be fixed now, annoying.

>  3) Messages like tha above reassuring message should never be
>     overwritten; insert a newline character.

>  4) the downloading X/Y messages may indeed overwrite each other, but
>     the connecting to URN message should have a new lin at the end,
>     and so always be visible, and not overridden by the down load
>     message

I have changed the output to read,

Starting Get of http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/dists/unstable/non-free/binary-
i386/Packages.gz
Finished Get of http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/dists/unstable/non-free/binary-
i386/Packages.gz
Starting Get of http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/dists/unstable/contrib/binary-
i386/Packages.gz
Get:/Packages 'Downloading' 0/2124

Unfortunately the URLS are so incredibly long they wrap even on their own
lines :< The Starting Get and Finished Get lines scroll back while the
last info line persists and overwrites. The rest of the information is
totally discardable (ie connection, waiting, etc) errors will scroll back
and will be re-itereated on completeion.

It's kinda cute, you can see it fetching and decompressing, on my machine
(with the nice caching proxy) you can see that it finishes the download
before it finishes the first decompression :>

I would perhaps like to shorten the displayed url, perhaps the triplet
from the sources.list could be used.

>  5) Get:/Packages.gz 'Downloading' 0/328172 The only useful
>     information is the 0/328172 part; I suggest you print the urn;
>     newline, and the next line has just the size_downloaded/total_size

That only works for single connection, it opens multple concurrent
incoming connections so I can't do that - not to mention status displays
for decompression are shown, but that happens so fast on our fast
computers that it is invisible.

Jason