Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 21:47:49 +0100
From: Patrick Kirk <patrick@kirks.net>
To: Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
Subject: apt-get

Hi Phil,

Spent a couple of hours this morning trying to install GNOME from tarballs I
found on a PC Plus cover disk.  Kept having failing dependencies.

Someone who replied to my posting to debian users suggeted I amended the
/etc/apt/sources.list to add a folder called ~jim/.... on the debian site and
atp-get install the Gnome apps.

Tried it.  It siad the download would take an hour so I went for a bite to
eat, returned and found a working GNOME/Enlightenment setup.

Phil, this is superb.  And the fact that I can keep it synced by apt-get
update makes using rpms look like drudgery.

You probably know the guys who put apt together if you didn't write it
yuorself.  Please forward this note of thanks to whoever made the idea work.
I just wonder if I'll be able to move the whole thing to potato just by
apt-get install potato.

Since you were the one who gave me the disk, you're the one I'm gushing to
about how good it is.  I'll stop now and watch Fraser.

 Have a good weekend!

Patrick
------- End of Forwarded Message