Re: [gopher] What's my IP address in gopher!

Hello,

On Sat, 5 May 2012 12:07:12 +0000 (UTC)
Denis Bernard <denis.bernard@laposte.net> wrote:

> Do not miss the opportunity to reach the small devices computers
> area by avoiding this “i” item-type!

Now for one moment, let's get real. Gopher has been obsolete even
before this list was created. Even then it has been and it will ever be
an obsolete thing from the past tinkered with by enthusiasts, people
who run old gear just for the fun of it. As I can tell the whole gopher
community has become so small that nearly everybody who runs a server
as well as nearly every user is subscribed to this mailing list.

So that's it. While gopher might be a good idea with regard to mobile
devices it is very unlikely that anybody will ever care. Even if the
idea of menu-based information services will be resurrected it won't be
gopher. Very likely it well be a new thing based upon a more modern
approach. Think about it. Nowadays embedded devices have more computing
power than many desktop computers from 10 years ago. So get along with
it because it's no problem of the "i" item-type at all.

Dennis

--
Dennis Schulmeister - Schifferstr. 1 - 76189 Karlsruhe - Germany
Tel: +49 721/5978883 - Fax: +49 721/5978882 - Mob: +49 152/01994400